[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 01:22:09 UTC 2011

On 10 October 2011 20:03, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 08:49:13PM -0400, Risker wrote:
> > No, I can't arrange a demonstration, Kim. I do not have net nannies on
> any
> > system that I control.  The systems on which I have encountered them are
> not
> > publicly accessible. They have prevented access to all articles I tested
> > within a given category on English Wikipedia and all images within a
> given
> > category that I tested on Commons.
>
> That sounds like it works on the basis of keywords, perhaps.
>
> How thoroughly have you tested it, when did you do this test?
>
> Can we check?
>
> Can it block those images from the given category on commons, if
> viewed on the actual pages they are used for on wikipedia?
>
> And will it also block images from the subcategory - if used on wikipedia?
>
> I might investigate or even buy this software (if not exceptionally
> expensive) and test it extensively if this is the case.
>
> sincerely,
>        Kim Bruning

I cannot answer your questions, Kim, as these are generally systems in which
I do not have longterm access; and those that I do have longterm access, I'm
not going to risk my accounts for your experiments. I cannot think of a
legitimate reason why I would be investing a large amount of time checking
all the articles in [[:Category:Sexual positions]] (or the equivalent
Commons category) on those accounts, for example. You may be in a different
situation.

Risker