[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 06:20:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hiya Bishakha
>
> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> I have said, it is a matter of perspective how you view them. But if we go
> by the assumption that editorial judgement is a separate thing, whose job
> is
> it to exercise it? WMF has long held the position that the project are
> independent and it has not editorial control over what the community
> decides- this would not be the case if we consider the filter an editorial
> judgement. Keeping in mind the reaction that has been shown by different
> communities, would it mean, WMF would be exercising that control? using an
> already existing structure of categories created earlier, possibly by
> editors who don't agree with the filter, to implement the said editorial
> control? What about editorial independence[1]?

Good point - I don't think WMF is trying to take editorial control. WMF is
trying to develop a software feature.

Yes, editorial independence is part of editorial judgement and editing. (Am
at Seoul airport, not slept all night, so pardon my fuzziness).

> No, it is only being hidden.

Not being hidden for everyone - you hide if you want, I don't if I don't
want.

> Based on an arbitrary system of categories that
> can be exploited.

Agree that there has been a good discussion on categorization, and the
issues related to this, both on this list and on meta - and
useful models proposed.

Best
Bishakha