[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 29 12:56:30 UTC 2011

Am 29.11.2011 13:03, schrieb MZMcBride:
> Alasdair wrote:
>> If the feeling is that such a "weak" filter would (regardless of how the
>> pre-populated "filter lists" are created) still attract significant
>> opposition on many projects then I personally don't see how there can be
>> any filter created that is likely to gain consensus support and still be
>> useful - except for one that gives users the option to hide "all" images by
>> default and then click on the greyed out images to load them if they want
>> to see them.
> You're confusing the opinions of a few extremists on foundation-l with
> general consensus. It's unclear what percent of users actually want this
> feature, particularly as the feature's implementation hasn't been fully
> developed. A few people on this list have been trying very hard to make it
> seem as though they're capable of accepting some magical invisible pink
> unicorn-equivalent media filter, but the truth is that they're realistically
> and pragmatically opposed to any media filter, full stop. This is an
> extremist opinion (it's not as though extremist opinions are particularly
> uncommon around here).
>
> Personally, I want to believe that if the Wikimedia Board is making such a
> strong push for this feature to be implemented, there are very good reasons
> for doing so. Whether or not that's the case, I wouldn't look (closely or
> broadly) at the comments on this mailing list and try to divine
> community-wide views.
>
> MZMcBride

... And I still want to see the "good reason for doing so". So far i
could not find one single reason that was worthy to implement such a
filter considering all the drawbacks it causes. That doesn't mean that
I'm opposed to any kind of filter. It just that we currently have three
models:

* The very simple clean solutions (all/nothing/blured/...), which aren't
found intuitive by the filter lovers.
* The category/labeling based solutions, which require an immense effort
(constantly) and provide data for censors.
* The user based solutions, which are most likely unusable, since they
require a lot of work by the user himself.

What I'm missing is option four. But as long option four isn't present
I'm strongly in favor of options 0 and 1. 0 would be: do nothing.