[Foundation-l] Image filtering without undermining the category system

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 13:03:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> The category system is as far as I am concerned of little interest. It
> is as far as I am concerned not helpful for Selecting one from a
> bunch. It is a sick dog and it is in misery.
> Thanks,
>    GerardM

Maybe you have stopped using wikipedia as a reader altogether? I and
many happy readers find great use for gategories. I read wikipedia pages
on the average three pages a day, and I would say one in five of those
page reads, I have to take recourse in the category system. The fact that
I get about a 50% usefulnes rate out of the categories, doesn't mean
that half the time they are useful for me.

Just because you think something about something, please, give a bit
of a thought that you are not the supreme arbiter of what everybody
should think. I do not object your stating your personal opinion. But it
is just your personal opinion. Do you have references to any pages or
other sources that support there is *any* significant portion of wikipedians
or wikipedia readers who feel even close to the way you feel?

Or are you just a voice crying out in the wilderness?