[Foundation-l] The News Hole

HaeB haebwiki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 01:10:37 UTC 2011

2011/11/26 Bod Notbod <bodnotbod at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>
>> There has been some discussion in journalism circles that newspapers, who
>> after all, provide the raw material for many of our topical articles
>> might copy our system of organizing material under a subject heading
>
> The Guardian already does this in a way, try clicking on one of the
> headings here:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/list/allnewskeywords
>
> The BBC News site also used to put together something akin to our
> portals for some subjects but perhaps they disappeared in the last
> redesign since I can't find them now.
>
> Bodnotbod

Yes, it's an interesting development, but not exactly news in the news industry:

http://www.niemanlab.org/2011/02/the-context-based-news-cycle-editor-john-oneil-on-the-future-of-the-new-york-times-topics-pages/
:
"O’Neil said he had read a statistic that roughly a third of
Wikipedia’s traffic came from only about 3,000 of its now more than 17
million pages. “We’re concentrating more on that upper end of the
spectrum.”"

http://www.niemanlab.org/2009/08/how-the-associated-press-will-try-to-rival-wikipedia-in-search-results/
:"The document states flatly, “The Wikipedia model of standing,
authoritative pages could be challenged.”"