[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2013 - Request for Bids and Jury nominations

Thomas Goldammer thogol at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 20:47:45 UTC 2011

It could be possible that a Wikimedia chapter is chosen to organize a
Wikimania, and they can then decide where to go (within their
country). Of course, the local chapter is always involved in
organizing it, anyway. So instead of a city bid one would have a
responsible chapter bid. This of course means that the global
community gives a huge amount of trust to that chapter that they look
for a place with sufficient infrastructure, public transit/air
connection and whatever is necessary... So, the jury would then only
choose the chapter (and thus the country), instead of a city.

What is absolutely not possible is just to say "city X will host
Wikimania 20xx. Now all go and organize." So there needs to be some
system of bids, I think.

Th.