[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2013 - Request for Bids and Jury nominations

James Forrester james at jdforrester.org
Wed Nov 23 19:17:26 UTC 2011

On 23 November 2011 19:07, Jan-Bart de Vreede <janbart at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> In the past years I have seen a lot of people spend a lot of time on different bids which never
> made it (even though they were pretty good). Could this be the year that we change this
> procedure and try to do things differently? I would love to explore how we can avoid a lot of
> people wasting their energy...
>
> How about taking a little time to look at these and other imperfects of the current system
> before jumping right in, and trying to see if we can improve it?

Happy to pause things, but there's limited time (even if we just
awarded it today, 19 months isn't a huge amount of time to organise an
event which is quite a significant amount of work). Previously there
have been calls for the Board to establish a "Committee" of some sort
to oversee Wikimanias and try to come to some agreement about how to
improve the system - but I worry that if we start discussions about
how we're going to decide to decide we'll never get anywhere. :-)

J.
--
James D. Forrester
jdforrester at wikimedia.org | jdforrester at gmail.com