[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia India Program Trust

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 15 12:42:48 UTC 2011

Tinu Cherian, thank you so much for writing this gorgeous, thoughtful
e-mail. I agree with every word you wrote, and I am grateful that you did
it.

One of the things I like best about Wikimedia is that anyone can become a
leader. You become a leader by acting like one: by being compassionate and
good, by reminding us of why we're all here, and calling upon us all to be
our best, wisest, most generous selves. That's what you've done here, and I
think it's really lovely.

While I was reading your e-mail, it reminded me of a famous mail that Brion
sent to this same list, back on Christmas Eve of 2006. It was before I
joined the projects, but lots of people told me about it, and eventually I
looked it up in our archives. It's here:
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/FH5EqJVBMHtX4RawfKZY -- we used to
call it the eggnog e-mail. It was essentially doing the same thing that you
did in your mail just now: asking us all, despite our disagreements, to
remember that what we're doing here in the Wikimedia projects is awesome,
and that we should remember that we love each other.

You've written the new eggnog e-mail. Thank you!

Sue