[Foundation-l] New Wikipedia gender gap research posted to Meta

En Pine deyntestiss at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 8 07:49:55 UTC 2011

Forwarding a response from Hawkeye7:

Yes, "the only real conclusion that can be drawn from this research is that articles on Wikipedia use language scored as male by this specific test."

This is always the problem with quantitative analysis. On the one hand, the test is both objective and repeatable; on the other it produces facts without explanation. In particular, without some form of model, it is often hard to tell cause from effect.

This is what we know; but it is but a piece of the larger puzzle.

Hawkeye7