[Foundation-l] Frustration with WMF = WP

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 01:57:56 UTC 2011

On 2 November 2011 21:43, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:30 AM, Dominic McDevitt-Parks
> > <mcdevitd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> While I am impressed by everyone's ability to turn this into yet another
> >> discussion of the image filter, how about if we don't do that just this
> >> once? :-)
> >
> > Yes, this is a WMF-killing-the-other-projects conspiracy thread, not
> > an image filter conspiracy thread :)
> >

> To quote from the movie "The Right Stuff" (perhaps misquote, so sue me)
> "The issue here isn't pussy, it's monkey."
>
> The administration and the tech folk are still treating the folks who are
> going
> to ride the rocket as not in charge, and that has to change. A fork or
> whatever, but this simply cannot be allowed to stand. *We* edit wikipedia.
> Not Sue or Erik or Jimbo, or the Board (least of all).We do it.
>
> There is another famous movie quote. "Build it and they will come."
>
> Welll there is an obverse side to that coin. "Tear it down, and they won't
> come anymore."

Jussi-Ville, I'm having a really hard time following your logic here.  My
understanding is that this is targeted at sharing knowledge with the people
who can't afford to pay ridiculous data access fees and who *aren't coming
now* because it is too expensive or too slow for them to make use of our
projects.  In what way is opposing the sharing of knowledge in line with
the core objectives of every single project?  Has not every single edit
ever made to any of the projects been done under licenses that permit
anyone or any organization (including the WMF) "to copy, distribute,
transmit...[or]... adapt" [1] the content, provided that appropriate
attribution is given and the resulting information is released under the
same license?

Risker/Anne

[1] Excerpt from text of Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0
Unported license (full text in English
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_Creative_Commons_Attribution-ShareAlike_3.0_Unported_License)
A version of the applicable license is linked to from every page in every
WMF project.