[Foundation-l] Ideas for newbie recruitment

Mateus Nobre mateus.nobre at live.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 23:39:01 UTC 2011

Agree with David.

We ask for sources everywhere, every place of Wikipedia have ''Cite your Sources''. How could a newbie know how to quote a reference in: <Ref>{{cite web |url= |title= |author= |date= |work= |publisher= |accessdate= }}</ref> ?

And then a newbie get out of the 70% who doesn't saves (funny, it's 70% of waiver and we still have infinite vandalism...) and finally, finally, saves, some pseudo-user (a bot disguised as a user, reverting vandalisms and sending automatic messages 24/7) reverts the newbie cause he doesn't put a source, the newbie gives up. At his second day he have new messages saying ''You didn't put the source. Put a source or I'll revert you againd and again.'' -so, he: ''How could I do that?'' - and the user: easy: ''<Ref>{{cite web |url= |title= |author= |date= |work= |publisher= |accessdate= }}</ref>''

True story.

Something have to change about the sources. I learned put sources after one week trying to learn and not miss the code.

If the sources are so important to Wikipedia, this has to be easier to newbies.

MateusNobre
Wikimedia Brasil - MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
(+55) 85 88393509
              30440865