[Foundation-l] Commons as an art gallery?

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Mon May 16 18:27:43 UTC 2011

On 16.05.2011 18:54, Béria Lima wrote:
> I would like to question something:
>
> Why you people are not discussing that in commons? Because here people
> can give opinions, in Gendergap mailing list too, but the people who can
> actually change the policy are the commons editors.
>
> So, is not better spend all that talk in the wiki?

I have thought to don't reply to this cross-post but I have only
indicated one opinion concerning the impact of Commons choices in the
other projects.

I would not influence the decision of the Commons community (probably in
future I will subscribe to this list), but I would give to all
communities a point of discussion to understand that an important
project like Commons can influence other projects.

In my opinion this image, put in all wikipedia home pages, can create
two big problems:

a) a problem of acceptance of "original works"
b) a problem of acceptance of "promotional works" (original works are
not accepted also to prevent promotional works)

I understand the position of Commons, and there is no problem to have
this content (but well categorized in order to prevent mistakes), but
the decision of Commons has broken two important pilasters of Wikipedia,
for example.

In any case we could start from this experience to improve the
guidelines of Commons and of all other projects, not necessary looking
in this experience like a point of dispute.

Ilario