[Foundation-l] Message to community about community decline

???? wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 16:39:49 UTC 2011

On 29/03/2011 16:16, Fred Bauder wrote:
> This
>
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Crestone,_Colorado
>
> is the village I live in. Perhaps the rule have been bent a bit, but I
> don't really see that civilization has been harmed, by doing so. What is
> a reliable source varies with the context.

Well my own village has a 'History' but I wouldn't bank on half of it
being true. Travelling around, one comes across many of the same
stories, indeed they are repeated in a number of village histories on
WP. There are countless Four Crosses attributed to a Jonathan Swift
story, or some other man of letters, and how many medieval 'Rose' pubs
used to be the "Red Rose" or the "White Rose" until the War of the
Roses. So one has to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt, and you
can't really rely on the books either cos they are repeating much of the
same thing.

But anyway with the above caveat there is a whole load of stuff to be
discovered and written about, but it mostly involves original research.
And BTW if the information available on English villages is poor, you
should witness the paucity that is France.