[Foundation-l] breaking English Wikipedia apart

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 12:41:51 UTC 2011

--- On Mon, 14/3/11, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com>

> > John, how would your proposal be realized,
> technically?

> This is explained in the first email in this thread.

Okay. Upon rereading I find you stated:

> I recommend breaking enWP apart by finding easy chunks and moving them
> to a separate instance, and having read-only copies on the main project
> like we do for File: pages from Commons.

So that would mean exporting all BLPs to a completely separate project, like
Commons, which hosts and edits these BLPs, which are then available as read-
only pages in Wikipedia. The existing BLPs in Wikipedia would be deleted,
and any BLPs created in Wikipedia would be instantly deleted, or moved to
the other project if they show promise.

Thank you. (Let me know if I have still misunderstood.)

Andreas