[Foundation-l] breaking English Wikipedia apart

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 11:29:02 UTC 2011

--- On Mon, 14/3/11, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] breaking English Wikipedia apart
> Date: Monday, 14 March, 2011, 10:33
> > Thoughts?
>
> The intention of this proposal, and this thread, is _not_
> to improve
> our processes/handling of BLPs, however that is one of the
> likely
> outcomes of splitting BLPs to a separate project.
>
> The intention of this proposal is to split English
> Wikipedia into more
> than one project, so different editing policies/guidelines
> and
> administration practices can form.
>
> I proposed BLPs as a candidate for a new project because
> they are the
> simplest set of pages to define and it is accepted that the
> current
> structure results in new BLP violations every minute, and
> many of
> these are not addressed for months.  The main
> wikipedia project would
> still need strong policies to ensure BLP violations can be
> dealt with
> in articles that are not biographies.
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

John, how would your proposal be realized, technically?

I presume BLPs would still be hosted on the same xx.wikipedia.org site, be
wikilinked to, and so on. Is that correct?

If so, how would the proposed spun-out BLP project, with its own admins and
so on, assume jurisdiction of these articles? Could you explain how you had
envisioned this to work?

A.