[Foundation-l] Global banners usage

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 04:11:12 UTC 2011

I presume you are raising this point now in because of the recent global
banner referring people to the "March 11 Update" on Strategy Wiki signed by
Sue - http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/March_2011_Update
Unless I'm mistaken that banner was *only* displayed to logged-in editors
however this RfC does not differentiate between banners that are only shown
to either logged-in or anonymous users. As a result I do not think that this
RfC which you started last August is an adequate representation of the
consensus of Wikimedians towards this particular banner (if that is indeed
the reason why you to raise this issue now).

Certainly, as time goes on there is an increasing need for guidelines about
*who* is allowed to use *what kind* of banners, for *what purpose*,
*when*and displayed to
*whom*. This discussion could also include elements of: banners on
watchlists; frequency (e.g. "only 1 in every 1,000 hits");
logged-in/anon/everyone; which projects/languages; Chapters/WMF originated;
geolocation (and to what level of precision); what category of thing it's
promoting (fundraising, IRL event, election); etc.

So, whilst I agree that guidelines on the use of banners would be good to
put in place somehow, it is too simplistic to have a RfC that merely says,
"Global banners should only be used for the annual Wikimedia fundraiser.
They should not be used during other times throughout the year for Wikimedia
hiring or strategic planning or other similar non-fundraising-related
reasons."

-Liam

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata