[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 07:57:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On the target itself, I want to note that the strategic plan numbers
> aren't set in stone. The financial targets for the 2011-12 fiscal year
> are defined in the annual plan process, which just kicked off. This
> plan, when approved by the Board, will decide the target that we're
> aiming for in the next fundraiser, and the process is informed by the
> most recent projections. It's also very much informed by these kinds
> of discussions (versions of which are happening internally all the
> time), and it will be, every year.

+1. I just want to say that these kinds of conversations -- how to
balance fundraising intrusiveness with raising the money needed, how
much money we need, which projects get priority, etc. etc. -- is what
"strategic planning" entails, whether it's at the WMF level or in
general.

I would love to hear what projects "the community" (our many
communities) value the most, or find the most effective in daily work.
I'd love to know if there's general discontent over WMF spending
levels, and if so why. I'd be glad to know the opposite; I'd be
unsurprised to learn there's no consensus. I'm not sure that
information can be gotten comprehensively from a foundation-l thread
(actually, I'm pretty sure it can't) but I am glad we are having the
discussion.

-- phoebe