[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:02:41 UTC 2011

Andrew Garrett writes:

We might be growing, but I don't think anybody in the industry would
> hesitate to say that we're still "small" and "running on a shoestring
> budget". The websites that we compete with run budgets in the hundreds
> of millions to billions of dollars.

This point can't be overstressed. Compared to organizations running the
other nine of the top ten websites, Wikimedia Foundation is miniscule, and
should still be considered so even if/when the Foundation meets the goals
set in the strategic plan.

--Mike