[Foundation-l] Wikimedia "Storyteller" job opening

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 00:10:41 UTC 2011

On 2 March 2011 00:00, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Also you have to remember that the purpose of
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings/Storyteller is not to explain
> the job to curious community members.

Maybe but it's the only information we have (openess not being the
foundation's strong point) and it's no secret that the community
contains people with a lot of experience in reading job adverts,

>The only purpose that should be
> considered in writing a job opening is to attract people who may be a good fit
> for the job and inspire them to apply, while repelling people who would be a bad
> fit for the job. The target audience of the job opening is job seekers. The only
> useful measure to judge if a job opening was "good" is whether it resulted in
> lots of applicants that you would like to find out more about and few applicants
> that are an obviously poor fit. Wasting your time processing the applications of
> obviously unsuitable people is nearly as bad as not producing an interview pool
> filled with equally great applications.  And the former has become the more
> likely scenario these past few years.  So if you personally find that a job
> opening turns you off, it may just be working quite well. A good job opening
> should turn off a fair number of people.

However this person is meant to be working with the community. I would
suggest if the advert for a position turns off those who that position
is meant to be working with then you have a problem. Obvious exception
would be the likes of prison officers but I would suggest that that is
not a model we wish to explore.

--
geni