[Foundation-l] Sooo, who wanted to recruit new users again? ; -)

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 06:34:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:13 AM, Ashar Voultoiz <hashar+wmf at free.fr> wrote:

> On 07/06/11 02:09, Kim Bruning wrote:
> > Currently, we're getting some amount of traffic on
> >       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Paul_Revere
> >
> > Once we have given thanks and praise to Ms Palin for sending us so many
> > potential new recruits; we can start explaining to everyone who shows up
> how
> > wikipedia works, and how they can contribute constructively.
>
> I have inserted {{welcome}} at the top of the talk page.  This is much
> better at welcoming new users than 15 lines of templates.
>
> Be bold!
>
> --
> Ashar Voultoiz

The template is meant for user: space, so it doesn't quite fit by
transcluding Paul Revere's name into the welcome, etc.  However, you raise
an interesting point of use of templates.  Why should we not have generic
talk page template?  This is off topic for this list, I've posted to en.wp
village pump:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(proposals)#Welcome.2Fhow_to_edit_template_on_talk_pages

--
~Keegan