[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

Scott MacDonald doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 3 17:51:48 UTC 2011

> And? I don't see a problem with those contributions. Are they
> problematic in
> some way (particularly in a way that the English Wikiversity admins
> can't
> handle)?
>

> The idea that you can stop manipulation of the system by sporadic (and
> wildly inefficient) witch-hunts is rather insane. If the door is
> unlocked,
> you don't imprison every person who tries to open it, you lock it (and
> then
> imprison those who break in).
>
> MZMcBride

You don't need a witch-hunt when the witch is there wearing a pointy hat and
holding a broomstick.

Nor is it responsible to let people who are unquestionably dangerous, and
have abused and manipulated Wikimedia and Wikimedians, run about because
"over in this particular corner they've not killed anyone *yet*". Good users
simply deserve better. This user is a persistent and unreformable menace,
and there's no problem with saying NO.

I take the point that creating a security state will not work - but that
doesn't mean we open the jails.

Scott