[Foundation-l] Request: WMF commitment as a long term cultural archive?

Fae faenwp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:48:27 UTC 2011

Sure Tom, here's a SciFi user story:

In 2016 San Francisco has a major earthquake and the servers and
operational facilities for the WMF are damaged beyond repair. The
emergency hot switchover to Hong Kong is delayed due to an ongoing DoS
attack from Eastern European countries. The switchover eventually
appears successful and data is synchronized with Hong Kong for the
next 3 weeks. At the end of 3 weeks, with a massive raft of escalating
complaints about images disappearing, it is realized that this is a
result of local data caches expiring. The DoS attack covered the
tracks of a passive data worm that only activates during back-up
cycles and the loss is irrecoverable due backups aged over 2 weeks
being automatically deleted. Due to no archive strategy it is
estimated that the majority of digital assets have been permanently
lost and estimates for 60% partial reconstruction from remaining cache
snapshots and independent global archive sites run to over 2 years of
work.

Cheers,
Fae
--