[Foundation-l] Oral Citations project: People are Knowledge

whothis whothith at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 19:16:28 UTC 2011

Looks like an excellent waste of effort.

Maybe the problem of publishing non-publishable oral sources occurred to
someone on the team. Anyway the english wikipedia seems to be the
appropriate place for your original research. I can't wait to read all about
it.

I still think a research project in emesis in the global south or something
would have suited english wikipedia better but that's just me.

Your fan

Elizabeth

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Achal Prabhala <aprabhala at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> At the beginning of 2011, a group of us began working on a project to
> explore alternative methods of citation on Wikipedia. We were motivated
> by the lack of published resources in much of the non-Anglo-European
> world, and the very real difficulty of citing everyday aspects of lived
> reality in India and South Africa.
>
> We are now at a stage where the project is almost complete, and we'd
> like to share our work with the broader movement, especially within
> India and South Africa.
>
> There are three languages we worked within: Malayalam, Hindi and Sepedi.
>
> The project page documents the process and logistics employed, as well
> as the findings and results:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Oral_Citations
>
> A film made on the project is available here:
>

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:People-are-Knowledge.ogv?withJS=MediaWiki:MwEmbed.js
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:People-are-Knowledge.ogv
> or
> http://vimeo.com/26469276
>
> There have been discussions on oral citations for some time now within
> the language communities we worked with for the duration of the project.
> At this stage, we are really interested in *your* feedback, either on
> this list, or on the Discussion section of the project page.
>
> There are still some things to come, namely:
>
> - Updates on events, meetings and discussions held around the project
> (as they happen)
> - Updates on articles created in Malayalam, Hindi and Sepedi as a result
> of the project (as they happen)
> - English transcripts of the interviews and a full English subtitle track
> for further translation (we could use some help here).
>
> We would be very grateful to hear your feedback, and begin a broader
> discussion.
>
> Best wishes,
> Achal

Oops, my karma ran over your dogma.