[Foundation-l] Start "questions and answers" site within Wikimedia

Oliver Moran oliver.moran at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 08:25:29 UTC 2011

> From the perspective of our mission, they are indeed doing things
wrong.  [From the perspective of running a small business, they may be
doing just fine.]

Our mission statement: "The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to
empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop
educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to
disseminate it effectively and globally."

Erm ... looks to me like that's exactly what Stack Exchange do. They empower
and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational
content under a free license. And they are VERY effective in doing so. And
the do it globally. That's all the boxes from our mission statement checked.

> Proprietary software is often inefficient...

The issues you raise about open-source vs. proprietary software, that's an
open-source vs. proprietary software debate - and one that sounds like it is
on the ideological edge of that arena. As a software engineer who develops
proprietary software, I can almost guarantee that a whole bunch of
open-source software (e.g. MIT licenced) is in the Stack Exchange software.
Indeed, just by looking at their web source its possible to see proof of
that. Because of this, the matter of the benefits of open source software
vs. the proprietary software is a theoretical one. In modern practise, the
two cannot be so cleanly separated.

In any event, is it really relevant to us? And how does it pertain to the
specific example of Stack Exchange? Stack Exchange content is freely
licenced. It is content that we are interested in.

(Never minding the fact that the only credible suggestion thus for for a
replacement software is a clone of the Stack Exchange software itself.)

> There's no need to re-invent the wheel.

The "wheel" in this case is not only technological, it is human. A body of
people already exist who will do this work. There is no need to "re-invent"
those people and your reasons for doing so (in your reply to Thomas) sound
positively tribal.

Oliver