[Foundation-l] roadmap for WM affiliation ; a name for self-identified affiliation

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 21:07:40 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

A GLAM institute doesn't necessarily own the copyrights to all the content they
have. A project that contains copyrighted material would not be able to use an
"Open Content" badge. "Open Content" has to be restricted to places where it is
allowable to make derivatives works for commercial purposes from the content.

Yet it would be nice to have a way to notice a hypothetical GLAM that doesn't
attempt to claim copyright on PD works they have merely digitized, freely
licenses the derivative materials produced by employees, and makes detailed
copyright info on their content accessible. There is a significant difference
between an organization who might make such an effort and one that tends to
stamp "All material Copyright of [GLAM]" everywhere (whether that claim could
possibly be true or not). It would be nice to notice those organizations which
are doing what they can with the rights they do control rather than saying "It's
shame you accepted those donations of materials 50 years back without securing
full copyright control, but with that content you can't join our club."

Birgitte SB