[Foundation-l] roadmap for WM affiliation ; a name for self-identified affiliation

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 07:33:44 UTC 2011

On 15 July 2011 01:03, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed.  They're a very very special tool, but software not a
> reasonable definition for a movement.   The Unnamed Movement should be
> software-neutral, if not in name then CERTAINLY in practice.

It's a thing and it exists and it's a concept that needs a name.

I tend to call it "the free culture" in my head (which has the
annoyance that "free" is ambiguous in English).

e.g. discussing how particular people think, "X is a free culture
native. Y isn't, but is slowly getting the idea."

(The only reason this needs a separate name is Creative Commons
pushing and continuing to push -NC and -ND. I and we continue to love
CC, but what they do is *not quite* what we do.)

- d.