[Foundation-l] List of Wikimedia projects and languages

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 07:04:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:04 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 July 2011 13:57, emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If Wikimedia projects and WMF leave to die 90% (or 80%, or 70%, or 60%) of
>> current languages in the next 40 years (we will be alive to see it,
>> probably), then both are failures.
>

> First thing would be a Wikisource or similar then. Just gather up as
> much material as possible and get it online, in a manner that isn't
> process-heavy

process isn't a problem.
lack of man power and critical mass is.
most people are more interested in wikipedia.

> (e.g. the recent description of the ridiculous faff to
> get a thesis into Wikisource).

born-digital thesis are not are conservation problem.

> Do we have anything for languages without a written form? Shove
> audio/video onto Commons?

Wikisource for transcriptions of the audio.  We have a few featured
texts of this type.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/WS:FT

--
John Vandenberg