[Foundation-l] List of Wikimedia projects and languages

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 12:57:22 UTC 2011

2011/7/11 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>

> Note that estimates from the past (and likely from the present) count
> that no language with less than 1M of speakers would survive 2050.

If Wikimedia projects and WMF leave to die 90% (or 80%, or 70%, or 60%) of
current languages in the next 40 years (we will be alive to see it,
probably), then both are failures.

Look this:
* http://blog.archive.org/2011/01/30/digitizing-all-balinese-literature/
* http://www.archive.org/details/Bali

And compare http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ban

Partnership between Internet Archive and Wikimedia Foundation is mandatory.
Second one has to learn a lot of the first one.

IA has a small staff too[1] (WMF boasts about that), but they are doing much
more to preserve and spread knowledge than Wiki[mp]edia projects.
Unfortunately they are only on the 213 of Alexa ranking.

[1] http://www.archive.org/about/bios.php