[Foundation-l] List of Wikimedia projects and languages

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 11:23:44 UTC 2011

2011/7/11 Thomas Goldammer <thogol at googlemail.com>

> 2011/7/11 emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com>:
> > @Thomas and @Andre: I know that it is very hard to mantain a Wikipedia in
> > 'remote' or 'almost extinct' languages, but, if we don't save as much as
> we
> > can of them (including words, grammar, culture, social values), how are
> we
> > going to offer 'all human knowledge' ?
>
> We offer this knowledge by having articles about the grammar, culture
> and social values of these languages, and by having wiktionary entries
> for the words of these languages.

I'm OK with this.

> We do not need to have the human
> knowledge *in* these languages. It would be nice,

but it's not necessary to reach the ultimate goal to offer all human
> knowledge.

Why not? Why do people need to learn English to read a complete
encyclopedia? Biased thinking.

> > How many people don't
> > understand any Wikipedia today?
>
> Of those who can read at all, probably much less than 1%. The problem
> are those people who can't read.

Be careful, first 1% is from your pocket ({{citation needed}}), second 1% of
hundred of millions may be a lot of people.