[Foundation-l] They do make or break reputations

Phil Nash phnash at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 10 01:07:43 UTC 2011

If only I could be so sanguine; I cannot disagree with Fred's first
paragraph, but as regards his second I must take issue. For a start, current
events should be covered by Wikinews, and subsequent *encyclopedic"
treatment of those events be dealt with in analytic terms and in retrospect,
by Wikipedia. That is why we have two projects, and not one. As regards the
stance of the British government towards the media in this case, and in
previous cases, it's clear to me that there is a dislocation between the
two- and in my experience, the government has long since lost the support of
the media, except in most general terms, and that is why we have the term
"spin-doctor". It's a two-way process, and not a new one, and where I am, I
cannot see any way in which the division of reponsibility to the citizen is
to be resolved. TBH, the relationship between politicians and the media, and
both of them have their suspect agendas, is always going to be problematic,
and all we should do as documenters of what happens is to perhaps stand back
for a while, and when the dust has settled,

WRITE A FUCKING ENCYCLOPEDIA!

Why is that a problem?