[Foundation-l] It Is not Us

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 03:11:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> As we did not know the extend to which we generally edit in many languages,
> we have not considered the needs of this majority. Our view has always been
> on single projects. We can do better and we should do better for our
> majority.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2011/06/in-defence-of-social-networks-ii.html

I can second this massively-multilingual finding--  going through the
language data, it's very clear that we do not have hundred of separate
populations, we populations that are highly interconnected and full of
overlap, in really interesting ways.

Early in the last election, I had an instinct that our lack of
discussion was being caused by a lack of communication skills.  This
instinct turned out to be dead wrong-- glad I actually looked.
Certainly there are language barriers, but they are smaller than I
expected.    The untapped potential for a viable a global community IS
in fact here-- we just have to rally that nascent community.
Alec

See: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Alecmconroy/Language_study#Visualizing_our_languages