[Foundation-l] Usability wiki

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Sat Jan 29 11:24:25 UTC 2011

The main page of the Usability wiki ( http://usability.wikimedia.org ) says
that it's discontinued and the whole wiki appears to be locked for editing.
I don't remember this being discussed, although i may have missed it.

I understand that after completing the Vector rollout and the using up of
the grant that particular project is over, but it certainly must not mean
that all the usability problems have been solved and that the Foundation
won't work on usability anymore. Quite the contrary, usability should be one
of the Foundation main concerns - it makes sense in general and it is also
directly related to four out of five movement priorities as listed at the
main page of the Strategy wiki ( http://strategy.wikimedia.org/ ; the only
priority to which usability is not directly related is "Focus on quality
content"). I have dozens of ideas for much-needed usability improvements
that will benefit both beginning and experienced editors, even before anyone
mentions WYSIWYG, and dozens of ideas for new rounds of usability testing,
which, without a doubt, will occur one day. And i am sure that i am not the
only one.

I suggest unlocking the Usability wiki and re-opening it as a community hub
for ideas about usability. It should be a completely unlocked wiki, with
anonymous users allowed to edit etc.; if spam becomes a problem, editing can
be allowed for registered users only.

Of course, such discussions can take place on Meta or on the Strategy wiki,
but since the Usability wiki already exists, it can be recycled as a site
focused on these matters.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore