[Foundation-l] Making wikimediafoundation.org more open to contributions

Philippe Beaudette pbeaudette at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 28 05:58:55 UTC 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 7:58 PM, MZMcBride wrote this plus some other stuff:

> Hi.
>
> When wikimediafoundation.org was first established (as a fishbowl wiki),
> there were concerns expressed about its lack of open editing. For one of the
> most prominent wiki and community-based organizations to have a closed site
> for its non-profit foundation is rather silly and anachronistic.
>
> The wiki was created before extensions like FlaggedRevs existed, but even
> today with these extensions theoretically capable of allowing outside
> contributions with moderation, there are still relevant and serious concerns
> about features that are enabled at wikimediafoundation.org, such as allowing
> raw HTML to be used.

I have to say, I rather support these changes.

I've long been troubled with the perception that our own foundation-wiki was so restrictive.  It seemed anti-thetical to me.  I'm pleased to see steps towards opening this up.

Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

pbeaudette at wikimedia.org

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

http://donate.wikimedia.org