[Foundation-l] retire the administrator privilege

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Wed Jan 19 09:04:51 UTC 2011

I basically agree that the big communities are now too big to take major
course changing community decisions. I do not follow so closely what is
going on in en.wp, however, the never-ending-story of flagged revisions
could be a good example. Another never-ending-story on Global arbcom /
Wikicouncil / whatever level it got stuck now is another one. I remember
still how in the middle of tough but slowly progressing discussion on
global admins on Meta within a day several hundred en.wp users apparently
unhappy with the fact that somebody may be rolling back their edits came,
voted no, and the proposal was dead. Most of them never participated in the
discussion and have never been seen on meta.

Having said that, I must add that I am pessimistic. I believe that the
Board / Foundation will not take any steps until it is obvious to everybody
that there major problems (for instance, a major fork or smth). This is the
reason I think Amir's proposal does not have a chance. It may be still
implemented on smaller wikis (say below 500K articles) since the
communities may decide to implement it, but currently not on the biggest
projects.

Cheers
Yaroslav