[Foundation-l] Wikimedia's secret wikis

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 01:57:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Jan Kučera <kozuch82 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see following wikis hold secred information:
>
> http://internal.wikimedia.org
> http://office.wikimedia.org
> http://board.wikimedia.org
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can NOT freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.

I don't want "the whole world" with the bank account info of the
foundation accounts, the colo access information for the datacenters,
the root passwords on things, the names and addresses of people who
have verified IDs to the foundation in the course of business or in
the course of abuse or content complaints.

Ask any open source project (be it code or information) to publicly
announce the equivalent information and see how far you get...

The existence of the foundation is necessary to buffer "the
encyclopedia" (and related projects) from the real world, forming a
minimum necessary barrier and supporting structure.

The existing situation isn't perfect - the community, board,
foundation staff are all wrestling with what degrees of openness work
in which sectors, when we have time to discuss it and work on it.  But
it's closed to the degree necessary to function in its job and role.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com