[Foundation-l] Board resolution on controversial content -- request for clarification

Andreas K. jayen466 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 22:29:06 UTC 2011

This is a question for Phoebe and/or another board member:

The board resolution on controversial content
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Controversial_content includes
the following paragraph –

*We urge the Commons community to continue to practice rigorous active
curation of content, including applying appropriate categorization,
removing media that does not meet existing policies and guidelines for
inclusion, and actively commissioning media that is deemed needed but
missing. We urge the community to pay particular attention to curating all
kinds of potentially controversial content, including determining whether
it has a realistic educational use and applying the principle of least
astonishment in categorization and placement. *

A question that has come up repeatedly on Wikipedia is whether the last
sentence (starting with the words "We urge the community ...") applies
exclusively to the Commons community, or whether it applies in equal
measure to other projects.

Could Phoebe or another board member briefly clarify?

Thank you, and season's greetings.
Andreas