[Foundation-l] Software idea: a "Wikipedia Explorer" that lets you browse Wikipedia and more

Yao Ziyuan yaoziyuan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 22:08:25 UTC 2011

The idea behind this program idea is that I have long felt Wikipedia is not
just an encyclopedia; it's the biggest "ontology" (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_(information_science) ) ever made on
the Web. Just like GPS (Global Positioning System) gives every location in
this world a unique set of coordinates, Wikipedia gives every concept in
this world a unique ID (which is the concept's Wikipedia article title);
and Wikipedia's link structure can guide you to navigate to a concept even
if you initially don't know the concept's name. Put another way, just like
DNS (Domain Name System) can resolve a domain name to an IP address,
browsing Wikipedia can resolve a felt concept in your mind to a unique
"address" for that concept (which is the concept's Wikipedia URL).

So Wikipedia is an infrastructure for topic identification and navigation
just like GPS is an infrastructure for location identification and
navigation, and upon this platform there can be a rich ecosystem of
topic-oriented apps. It can revolutionize how people announce and find
stuff (currently we use Google and keywords to announce and find stuff,
like products, but you know keywords have their own limitations, such as
the synonym problem and the problem of catching a complex concept with
keywords, while Wikipedia can always give you a unique ID for your felt
concept, no matter how complex it is).