[Foundation-l] Article Feedback Tool 5 testing deployment

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 09:55:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt at gmail.com> wrote:

> If we want to
> make sure that our criticisms raised on Foundation-l are actually addressed
> I think we need to make that the relevant people are not afraid of being
> demonsided if they admit a mistake. Otherwise we'll just be dismissable as
> being "against it": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMV44yoXZ0
>
> Trying to do something and not succeeding is not a failure - so long as we
> learn from the mistakes.

The meta-issue here is that coming on to the list and saying someone made
a mistake seems to be perceived by the perpetrators as being a sign of
weakness..It never *was* and never should be. Being able to admit being
wrong usually denotes a position of strength, not weakness. You don't need
a thick skin to admit to mistakes, you just need a belief that at core you are
working for the right goal. If you have that, everything else flows from that.
If you worry about whether you are fulfilling all the conflicting requirements
coming at you from various sides, you are in for a hiding to nothing. You
won't win, you may not lose, but your position will be ever vulnerable and
ineffective.