[Foundation-l] Article Feedback Tool 5 testing deployment

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 00:46:04 UTC 2011

I was afraid of that... That the real reason, the underlying reason, for keeping the AFTv4 running all this time is because of the vanishingly small number of readers who make a rating, see the 'call to action' and then stay around long enough to become valuable editors in their own right.
If it's the case then the AFTv4 is simply being used as a cover for an inefficient editor recruitment program, then asking readers to give ratings is simply disingenuous. It is misleading to the well-intentioned reader (who genuinely believes we want their 'star ratings' opinion) and is also misleading the existing community who have been told that this tool will provide useful article feedback (its the name of the tool after all).

I honestly look forward to the AFTv5 that will be genuinely useful in generating qualitative article feedback. And, my hope is that it will include a method for the community to contacting those readers who give quality suggestions to ask them to join the discussion of their comments on the article talkpage (similar to the privacy-compliant 'email this user' feature we already have perhaps?). I believe that a 'call to action' that is personalised like this - personally relevant because it is responding to the reader's qualitative feedback and is also individually written - will be effective in recruiting new users that are seen by the existing community as an asset rather than a burden. Certainly, that method would engage fewer readers in total but I suspect it would have a greater level of retention because the new user's first interaction would be with other human beings on the talkpage asking them about their own feedback. Surely this is much more positive for everyone as the newbie feels more welcome and is less likely to trip over one of our editorial policies in their first edits (resulting in reverts, bot-warnings etc.).

In the mean time, I would like to reiterate that the the Article Feedback Tool (version 4 or 5) has always had its *primary* goal of getting article feedback and a distant *secondary* goal of getting new users. If the only real reason that v4 is still running is because of the very marginal success of that secondary goal then that is not, in my opinion, sufficient justification for keeping it running on 99.7% of en.wp articles. This is especially the case if the justification to the community for the tool being put on 100% of en.wp in the first place was on the basis of the primary goal, not the secondary goal.

-Liam

Peace, love & metadata