[Foundation-l] Wikimedia domains at GoDaddy

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 19:25:47 UTC 2011

On 23/12/11 16:30, John Du Hart wrote:
> This is currently on the reddit front page
> http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/nnv9l/wikipediaorg_is_with_godaddy_jimmy_if_youre/

Everybody there seem to know whatever evil thoughts GoDaddy said, but
there's no reference supporting that.

> Why we're using GoDaddy in the first place is beyond me, surely there's
> better options available (Like ones that don't support SOPA or have CEOs
> that shoot elephants).

It may have been originally registered at GoDaddy 11 years ago, or could
have provided a better deal than the pondered competitors at some point
in the past.

I remember that a long time ago there were different registrars for the
domains, but they were later homogenized to a single one.