[Foundation-l] Article Feedback Tool 5 testing deployment

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Fri Dec 23 03:44:08 UTC 2011

I'm not going to reply to the *entire* email, because I don't have all the
data in front of me (and it's 3:40am - even if I did, I'm not going to
write anything massively coherent ;p) - I'll revisit when I've poked some
people to get some more info. However, one thing the current version has
been used for, productively, and is still used for, is the Calls to Action
- the notices that appear after you've submitted feedback that invite
contributors to edit. We've seen a fairly low conversion rate for this -
mostly due to a lack of ability to grok WP's rather outdated and
complicated interface, more than due to a lack of desire on the readers'
part - but it's still a valuable way to attract new edits and new editors,
and attract them it does. So, turning it off now is not just saying no to
the feedback; it's also saying no to a method of drawing in new editors, at
a time when we've got a dearth of such people.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a perfect situation, and I'm a
bit on-the-fence about it myself (I had initially argued we should turn off
AFT4, at least for the users who are getting AFT5 on some articles) but
it's important to consider the impact of switching off a conduit for new
editors.

Hopefully I'll have something useful to say once I've got some shuteye.
Sorry if this raises more questions than it answers :)

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development
Wikimedia Foundation