[Foundation-l] Article Feedback Tool 5 testing deployment

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Thu Dec 22 13:02:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 02:56, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, did a double-take there. Tell me I read that wrong, please! My
> eyes must be deceiving me or my reading comprehension not being
> quite up to the task right now... But some weird brainfart made me
> read that in such a way that you were suggesting that the english
> language wikipedia would be used as a test bed for what should be
> deployed side-wide. Please tell me I am hallucinating, misreading
> you grotesquely, or there is some other clear communication disconnect!

Site-wide means "on all of English" not "on all projects" (which would
be "cross-wiki" or "cross-project"). Currently AFT5 is deployed on a
subset of enwp articles (about 11,000) for testing. From what I can
gather, there is a fairly long process of testing planned to see
whether the deployment on English is an improvement on the existing
AFT. After that process, if it is deemed to be an improvement and the
objections have been fixed, then it is possible to offer it to other
wikis.

The small deployment on English will be used to inform the decision as
to whether to roll it out fully on English, not on all projects.

It's a fairly major change, so I think the Foundation are (correctly)
being conservative in their rollout on English, and being careful to
collect data to inform a community decision in the future. It's not
suddenly going to turn up on projects other than enwiki without a lot
more discussion and consultation.

But then I've just been watching the process quietly from the
sidelines: I may have got this all wrong.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>