[Foundation-l] How SOPA will hurt the free web and Wikipedia

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 16:40:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<philippe at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just wanted to let you know that I got word a few minutes ago that today's
> SOPA markup meeting will be using a new tool that allows for public input
> into the markup.  Shortly before 8:30, you'll see the SOPA bill replace the
> OPEN bill at Keepthewebopen.com.  If you'd like to have input during the
> markup process, this is a nice way to do it.
>
> pb

Fascinating! A little late though... clearly these representatives
haven't had the community lessons of Wikimedia drilled into them, heh.
(As an aside, I really like the editing interface that keepthewebopen
is using).

On the question of to strike or not to strike -- my *personal* view is
to agree that we should a) discuss other measures, such as perhaps a
text banner on en.wp; and b) use a strike as a last resort, as there
is no other place to go if we did strike. I think Jimmy's poll was
just that -- a way to gauge support for any particular action. And all
the discussions I've seen have run pretty strongly in favor of doing
something to oppose the bill, with the 'something' tbd.

As with the Italian action though timing is everything. This vote is a
committee vote; if it dies here it will be exceedingly hard to
resuscitate, but if it goes on it still has to pass a House floor
vote, Senate floor vote, get reconciled and get signed. In other
words, today is a critical time (and especially if you are in the US,
this is a good time to try to sway judiciary committee members) and we
really hope it dies here and now. But if it doesn't, this process
could go on for months, and we should consider what the next best
timing to do anything is. This is a community question, and must be a
community-led action.

BTW, Vint Cerf, Paul Vixie and many others just signed a letter of
internet engineers opposing SOPA:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/top-internet-engineers-warn-against-sopa/2011/12/15/gIQAGRV4vO_blog.html

-- phoebe