[Foundation-l] How SOPA will hurt the free web and Wikipedia

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 15:46:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 13:08, emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like Wikimedia Foundation is very worried about censorship and the
> cut off of fundraising payment processors. Now.
>
> What did WMF do when WikiLeaks domains were seized and its fundraising
> payment processors (PayPal, Visa, MasterCard) were cut off? Did WMF protest
> against Internet censorship? No.
>
> WMF did nothing. Well, Wikipedia community wrote this disclaimer "WikiLeaks
> is not affiliated with Wikipedia or the Wikimedia Foundation"[1] on the
> top, and turned a blind eye.
>
> Now it is your turn. Enjoy.

That's because Wikileaks "endangers lives" of those who endanger lives
of others and that's against the position of US nationalists. And WMF
is dominantly US organization. But, it's good to see that WMF went
into the position when it has to do things more actively.

BTW, we should organize at least email protest, by sending emails to
US ambassadors in our countries. I'll send it today. If necessary, we
should demonstrate in front of US embassies, as well.