[Foundation-l] "Terms of use" : Anglo-saxon copyright law and Anglo-saxon lawyers : a disgrace for Continental Europeans

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 20:14:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Ryan Kaldari <rkaldari at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> [...] Using a URL allows attribution without
> creating a hardship for the reuser. This has the added benefit of
> allowing us to enforce our terms firmly and consistantly, rather than
> carving out exceptions for various cases and having inconsistencies
> between what we require on paper and what we actually expect from reusers.

Using an URL does allow the semblance of attribution, but does not
fulfil the legal requirements of moral rights. I find it mildly
distasteful, that
other jurisdictions laws are referred to as "exceptions for various cases",
when CC itself has committed itself to better internationalisation in its
4.0 version.

Would also like a bit of clarity on what precisely is the difference between:
"what we require on paper and what we actually expect from reusers." ...
and how those differ from what we actually advise people to do when they
reuse content... ?