[Foundation-l] The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug on Commons and on all Wikimedia projects

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 20:12:26 UTC 2011

On 12 December 2011 18:18, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Technically, nothing was "messed up" by the feature. Rather, the
> software previously did not take EXIF rotation into account, and some
> images had incorrect EXIF rotation information to begin with. Those
> images are now shown in an incorrect rotation to the user, because the
> incorrect EXIF rotation info is being evaluated.

That's ridiculous misuse of words. What was messed up was the
presentation of images that were already displayed correctly.

It is entirely unclear to me why you appear to be evading rather than
answering a fairly simple and straightforward question:

How many images used in the wikis had the pages they were on messed up by this?

- d.