[Foundation-l] Regarding Berkman/Sciences Po study

Renata St renatawiki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 17:48:05 UTC 2011

> The problem is that the research committee made only a token effort
> at finding or following relevant onwiki policy or consensus , nor did
> they try to explain or correct their actions onwiki in a timely manner
> as per WIARM. Or where they did, they didn't follow up.
>
> Any of those 3 elements (Policy, Consensus, WIARM/BRD) each could and
> still can help bring people up to speed and reduce misunderstandings.
> That's part of what they're for, after all! I'm sure that people will be
> more supportive once things are sorted out in that way.
>
> Hmm, the research committee still hasn't made any onwiki statement at a
> relevant location that I can find. If this were a court case, RCom
> would pretty much have lost by default and/or forfeit already.

As I said, analyze and nitpick things to death. Does any of that above *
really* matter?

It distresses me to see the community turned into this insane
policy-enforcing power-hungry gang. Everything must be approved by us
(consensus)! Everything must follow each letter and comma of every goddarn
policy out there! If there is a single comma missing we will shred you to
pieces, treat you like a scum and public enemy number 1, whack you with all
kinds of warnings, AN threads, blocks... Yeah, you go back to where you
came from and stay there![1]

Since when doing something nice and interesting on WP should be treated and
compared to going to a court? Why and when did the community started to
think that compliance with WP:IDHCWTSF[2] is more important than
intentions, than doing the "right thing", than embracing new, different
ideas? Why does everything have to go through nine circles of bureaucracy?

I weep for the memory of Wikipedia that was *free*. Yes, it is still free
[as in $ and *©*], but it is no longer free of the instruction creep that
stifles and regulates your every movement. I weep for the memory of a
feeling that you *can* change, you *can* edit, you *can* do... without that
gripping fear that you are violating some random policy and therefore will
be whacked on your head with some large stick.

Renata

[1] Exaggerated, yes, but isn't this the typical newbie experience these
days?
[2] Wikipedia:I don't have a clue what this stands for