[Foundation-l] Is a research banner "advertising" of the evil sort?

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 21:01:13 UTC 2011

On 9 December 2011 15:32, Béria Lima <berialima at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not IRC, the private mailing list with Chapters + staff, I'm sure you heard
> of it before.
>
> And Kim, as far as I know there are NO WAY to put a sumary in a Central
> Notice action. And I'm not a en.wiki user, so I'm not forced to give any
> reason to en.wiki community about a action I took in another wiki. As for
> meta, there was a page (
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Central_notice_requests) created AFTER
> I disable the banner.
>
> And again, that was not a "on-wiki consensus": That was an action who
> started with a staff of WMF, discussed privately, put on air, discussed in
> a private mailing list, and took off. When I need to do anything on en.wiki
> I follow en.wiki, until there, don't try to imposse them to me.
> _____

Unless I'm missing something critical here, I believe it was the Research
Committee, not the WMF staff, who approved the use of a central notice
banner.  Whether or not  that is within their scope is a separate issue
that should be discussed elsewhere.

I am pleased to see the creation of a page at Meta to discuss Central
Notice requests.

Risker/Anne