[Foundation-l] Is a research banner "advertising" of the evil sort?

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Fri Dec 9 15:18:51 UTC 2011

On 09/12/2011 10:00 AM, Thomas Morton wrote:
> I think another concern is; why is this something WP wants to support?
> does it help our goals? Does it advance anything?

We're an educational resource concerned with the diffusion of
knowledge.  They are primary researchers that will publish their data
and conclusion with an open license, thus adding to the "sum of all
knowledge".  I think those objectives are eminently compatible.

If we think of ourselves as a college campus[1], then allowing
researchers to post flyers for human test subjects in exchange for a
small compensation (to the subjects) is downright /traditional/.

-- Coren / Marc

[1] I always thought that was a surprisingly apt analogy; think of the
projects as departments/buildings, and the WMF as the administration
everyone loves to whine about.  Somehow, that makes it less surprising
when you note the protesters on the grass and the silly politics.  :-)