[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Account Creation

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 22:30:32 UTC 2011

Yes, I got the same idea as Mateus when reading this thread: As you type in
a user name (or tab to the next box), the form should tell you if that
username is taken or not. That will save you a lot of trouble going back to
try a new user name.

2011/12/4 Mateus Nobre <mateus.nobre at live.co.uk>

> I think it's easier if you write your username in a box and appears early
> ''sorry, it's already used'' or ''available!''.
>

> Like the e-mail system.
>

> I never liked the suggestions system.
>

> _____________________
> MateusNobre
> MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
> (+55) 85 88393509
>              30440865
>

> > Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 03:10:33 -0700
> > From: fredbaud at fairpoint.net
> > To: foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
> > Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Wikipedia Account Creation

> times

> > > What does Special:ListUsers =/= list of all users with SUL mean?
> > >
> > > I thought the problem was to find account names that are not being
> used.
> > > If you search for a name you think you might want to use it returns a
> > > list of existing accounts.
> > >
> > > What is "SUL"?
> > >
> > > I know I'm supposed to understand Wikipedia acronyms, but I almost
> never
> > > do, unless I use them regularly myself, but I try to never use them, so
> > > never get practiced up.
> > >
> > > Fred
> >
> > OK, here is a tool: http://toolserver.org/~quentinv57/sulinfo
> >
> > This gives user info from every Wikimedia wiki. "SUL Info
> >
> > This script gives a list of every account using a specified name on WMF
> > wikis, and displays SUL data if accounts have been merged."
> >
> > The catch though is that if there is not an exact match it just returns
> > no account. Special:ListUsers shows most close matches.
> >
> > It serves well enough for creation of an account on the wiki you're
> > running it on. But there might be someone on another wiki using the same
> > name, or one that is confusingly close.
> >
> > Fred

mvh
Jon Harald Søby <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by>